The following are tips that can help you avoid becoming a victim of a crime when you are out and about, or working at your job.
• Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business, store, etc.
• Never leave any keys in the car or ignition, inside a locked garage, or in hide-a-key boxes.
• Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is parked in front of your home.
• Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk out of sight.
• Always park in high-traffic, well-lighted areas, when possible.
• Install a mechanical device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes. These devices will deter some criminals.
Report the crime to the police. Try to describe the attacker accurately. Your actions can help prevent others from becoming victims.
Wherever you are - on the street, in an office building or shopping mall, driving, waiting for a bus or subway -
stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings.
Send the message that you're calm, confident, and know where you're going.
Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, avoid the person or leave.
Think ahead and plan your journey, avoiding deserted areas in the dark, always stick to well-lit areas.
If you think you are being followed, cross the road.
If you start to be frightened, try not to panic. Always try to think around situations.